Peralada Town Walls

During the Middle Ages, Peralada had two town walls. The first enclosure dates back to the 10th and 11th Centuries. A few remains of these walls can still be seen today: one section on Carrer Sota Muralla, where a square based tower still stands, another section on Carrer Costa de les Monges, where the old castle entrance was located, and a final stretch in Plaça de Sant Domènec.

After the fire in 1285, the new wall was built, which is still highly visible in many spots around the town. The round-based tower located in the Convent del Carme is a particularly good example.