• Home/
  • The old hospital and Pump House

The old hospital and Pump House

Originally located at the entrance of the town, the old medieval hospital of Peralada was dedicated to giving alms to the poor and ensuring that epidemics did not enter the population. The archaeological excavations of 2003 revealed that this hospital had a chapel and a cemetery, where 116 bodies were exhumed, only to find that one of them contained a small hidden treasure: 25 gold coins from the 15th century, currently on display in the Sant Domènec Cultural Tourism Centre. . In 1835, as a result of the seizure and sale of land, the building passed into the hands of the Farmers’ Union of Peralada, who used it to house the irrigation pumps of the members; hence the building was commonly known as the Casa de les Bombes (pump house).

How to get there
How to get there
×